December 7– December 11, 2023
Supported by IACMR and hosted by the
Xi’an Jiaotong University, China
Course email: email@example.com
Call for Applications: The Sixth Teacher Training Workshop
December 7, 2023, Thursday 5 pm to December 11, Monday 5 pm
School of Management, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, Shaanxi, China
June 30, 2023
This Teacher Training Workshop is to prepare faculty colleagues to teach and promote the Philosophy of Management Research (PMR) course. This PMR course, which has been offered by IACMR for five times, is hosted by leading business schools in Chinese mainland and Hong Kong. It is to introduce doctoral students to the nature of scientific work in organizations and management. It focuses on a few of the key issues relating to the philosophy of science and the principles of scientific research. These issues play a pivotal role in guiding researchers’ understanding and explanation of important phenomena in our natural and social world. Understanding these issues will help the researchers to gain clarity on the role of scientific research in advancing the practice of management, which plays an important role in linking insight gained from business research and the advancement of humanity. Failing to have a proper understanding of the role of science or of the scientist can impede scientific work, undermine knowledge creation and accumulation, and stall scientific discoveries. The primary purpose of this course is to develop a new generation of responsible and impactful social scientists for business schools. This course also responds to the call made by Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China that it is urgently needed to establish a more comprehensive system of scientific research integrity.
Since 2015, this course has been taught every year at the Guanghua School of Management at Peking University, the School of Management at Fudan University, and the Antai College of Economics and Management at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. To help other business schools to develop and offer this course to their doctoral students, we developed and offered a “Teacher Training” workshop since 2016.
The purpose of this workshop is to train faculty colleagues interested in teaching “Philosophy of Management Research” in their own schools. We also welcome faculty members who do not plan to teach the course in the near future but are interested in learning about the philosophical foundations of our science to join the workshop. Over 110 faculty members from more than 40 leading universities have participated in the workshop in last five years. The workshop is a shorter version (4.5-day) of the actual course (which is a ten-session course, for a total of 30 hours). We are calling for applications to the fifth “Teacher Training” workshop in December 2023.
1. The applicant should be a faculty member, in any rank from assistant to full, in a re- search-oriented business school or other related disciplines.
2. Have experience conducting empirical research and have published empirical re- search papers in high quality management journals.
3. Proficiency in English, writing, and reading.
4. An active member (fee-paying member) of IACMR.
5. Before applying, the applicant should read the preliminary workshop schedule and syllabus carefully to fully understand the intense nature of the workshop, in terms of reading materials, schedule, and pre-workshop assignments. The hours are 8:00 or 8:30 am to 9:30 pm daily. The preparation will extend three months before the workshop.
6. This is a resident workshop. All the participants are required to stay at the hotel designated by the workshop organizer. No absence during the workshop is allowed, barring extreme circumstance or emergency.
7. A pledge to (a) complete the pre-workshop preparation assignment, (b) attend all 4.5 days of the workshop, and (c) stay at the designated hotel during the workshop.
1. There will be no tuition fee for participants. Faculty facilitators are all volunteers.
2. The host School of Management, Xi’an Jiaotong University, will provide all the meals and course materials, except the books.
3. Participants will purchase their own books used in the workshop.
4. Participants will be responsible for their own transportation and hotel accommodation.
1. Application documents include a copy of applicants’ CV, and a one-page cover letter, in which applicants should state the key reasons for why they want to participate in this workshop. Also, in the letter, applicants should include the three-point pledge (a, b and c) stated in Point 7 of Applicant Requirements.
2. Application must be written in English or in Chinese.
3. The workshop will allow only 18 participants. It will be highly competitive. Please prepare your application professionally and carefully.
4. Application deadline is June 30, 2023. Applicants should send the application documents to the course email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your application. For questions regarding the workshop, please contact Prof. Fuli Li at email@example.com or Dr. Meng Zhong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023 PMR Teacher Training Workshop Faculty Facilitators
1. Anne Tsui, Arizona State University
2. Zhi Yang, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
3. Liangding Jia, Nanjing University
4. Jian Liang, Tongji University
5. Xu Huang, Hong Kong Baptist University
6. Wu Liu, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
7. Xuhong Li, Fudan University
8. Tao Wang, Kyoto University
9. Wei He, Nanjing University
10. Weiguo Zhong, Peking University
11. Haijiang Wang, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
12. Weiwen Li, Sun Yat-Sen University
13. Zhiyu Feng, Renmin University
14. Fuli Li, Xi’an Jiaotong University
15. Meng Zhong, Xi’an Jiaotong University