Date: December 5, Thursday 5 pm to December 9, Monday 5 pm (4.5 days)
Place: School of Business, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
Application deadline extended to: June 30, 2019
This Teacher Training workshop is to prepare faculty colleagues to teach and promote the Philosophy of Management Research (PMR) course. This PMR course, which has been offered for four years at a few leading business schools in Mainland China and Hong Kong, is to introduce doctoral students to the nature of scientific work in organizations and management. It focuses on a few of the key issues relating to the philosophy of science and the principles of scientific research. These issues play a pivotal role in guiding researchers’ understanding and explanation of important phenomena in our natural and social world. Understanding these issues will help the researchers to gain clarity on the role of scientific research in advancing the practice of management, which plays an important role in linking insight gained from business research and the advancement of humanity. Failing to have a proper understanding of the role of science or of the scientist can impede scientific work, undermine knowledge creation and accumulation, and stall scientific discoveries. The primary purpose of this course is to develop a new generation of social scientists for business schools.
This course has been taught at the Guanghua School of Management, Peking University, Fudan University School of Management, and the Antai School of Management of the Shanghai Jiao Tong University since 2015. To help other business schools to develop and offer this course to their doctoral students, we developed and offered a “Teacher Training” workshop since 2016.
The purpose of this workshop is to train faculty colleagues interested in teaching “Philosophy of Management Research” in their own schools. Also, we welcome faculty members who do not plan to teach the course in the near future but are interested in learning more about the philosophical foundations of our science to join the workshop. Over 40 faculty members from more than 25 leading universities have participated in the workshop in the last three years. The workshop is a shorter version (4.5-day) of the actual course (which is a ten-session course, for a total of 30 hours). We are calling for applications to the fourth “Teaching Training” workshop in December 2019. The preliminary workshop schedule and syllabus is available here.
PMR-Teacher-Training Workshop Applicant Requirements
1. The applicant should be a tenure-track faculty member, in any rank from assistant to full, in a research-oriented business school or other related disciplines.
2. Have experience conducting empirical research and have published empirical research papers in high quality English language journals.
3. Proficiency in English, speaking, writing, and reading.
4. An active member (fee-paying member) of IACMR.
5. Before applying, the applicant should read the preliminary workshop schedule and syllabus carefully to fully understand the intense nature of the workshop, in terms of both readings, schedule, and pre-work. The hours are 8:30 am to 9:30 pm daily. The preparation will extend three month period before the workshop.
6. This is a resident workshop. All the participants are required to stay at the hotel designated by the workshop organizers. No absence during the workshop is allowed, barring extreme circumstance or emergency.
7. A pledge to (a) complete the pre-workshop preparation assignment, (b) attend all 4.5 days of the workshop, and (c) stay at the designated hotel during the workshop.
1. There will be no tuition fee for participants. Faculty facilitators are all volunteers.
2. The host Business School of Hong Kong Baptist University will provide all the meals and course materials.
3. Participants will be responsible for their own transportation and hotel accommodation.
4. Participants will purchase their own books used in the workshop.
1. Applicants should send the application documents to Dr. Juley Xiao at email PMR2019@126.com. Application documents include a copy of applicants’ CV (in English), and a one-page cover letter, in which applicants should state the key reasons for why they want to participate in this workshop. Also, in the letter, applicants should include the three-point pledge (a, b and c) stated in point 7 above.
2. Application must be written in English.
3. The workshop will allow only 18 participants. It will be highly competitive. Please prepare your application professionally and carefully
4. Application deadline is June 30, 2019
5. Acceptance decisions will be made by July 15, 2019.
We look forward to your application. For questions regarding the workshop, please contact Juley Xiao at PMR2019@126.com or Xu Huang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 PMR Teacher Training Workshop Faculty Facilitators
1. Song Chang, Hong Kong Baptist University
2. Wei He, Nanjing University
3. Xu Huang, Hong Kong Baptist University
4. Liangding Jia, Nanjing University
5. Jian, Liang, Tongji University
6. Fuli Li, Xian Jiaotong University
7. Wu Liu, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
8. Anne Tsui, University of Notre Dame
9. Haijiang Wang, Huangzhong University of Science and Technology
10. Tao Wang, Grenoble School of Management
11. Yingying Zhang, International University of Japan