IACMR Bimonthly Briefing - December 2016
- End-of-Year Message from President
- 2017 Workshop and 2018 Conference Updates
- Philosophy of Management Research Teacher Training Workshop
- Management and Organization Review (MOR) Updates
- Management Community News
- Member profile
End-of-Year Message from President
Dear IACMR members, colleagues and friends,
The year of 2017 is just around the corner. I would like to take a moment to share with you a few highlights of IACMR in 2016.
1. 2016 IACMR conference attendance broke record again. After breaking the 1000-mark in 2014, IACMR biannual conference broke records again. 2016 Conference of “Culture and Management”, held in Hangzhou between June 16-19, 2016, with Zhejiang University as the local host, attracted more than 1350 participated from 48 countries and regions, an all-time record in IACMR history.
2. The IACMR flagship journal, Management and Organization Review (MOR), has published 4 issues in 2016. The Volume 12 covers 860 pages with 27 articles published in one year.
3. Our bilingual publication, Management Insights (MI), co-published by IACMR and the School of Management of Fudan University, has published 4 issues in the year. Its “Research Highlights” keep posting summaries of published articles on Chinese management or research with implications for Chinese management practices. The most appealing section of “Executive Perspectives” has published interview reports with 8 leading executives who are known for their unique management thoughts and inspirational leadership practices.
4. MOR takes on the problem of current publication norms. Many scholars agree that there are fundamental problems with the current state of social science research. The real issue is what to do about it. Management and Organization Review (MOR), the flagship journal of IACMR, is taking a bold move to address this issue through a new set of editorial policies (click here to read the new MOR editorial policies).
5. IACMR held first Teaching and Learning Conference (TLC). To position IACMR as a leader in management education, IACMR held a half-day TLC with three concurrent sessions on June 15, 2016, just before the 2016 Conference. More than 120 faculty members participated and valued the program greatly. IACMR board has decided to continue offering the TLC in future conferences.
6. Inaugural Teacher Training Workshop on Philosophy of Management Research (PMR) a major Success. This workshop involves four and a half days’intensive study of the philosophy of science in social science research. Topics included: how progress occurs in science, the role of values in scientific activities, and the challenges in management research. The workshop concluded with a discussion of the idea of responsible science in business and management. 17 professors from nine leading business schools in China participated and gave the program extremely high remarks.
7. Active platform for IACMR members is setup. Leveraging the high attendance of the 2016 Conference, IACMR’s Beijing Office set up two IACMR WeChat Groups, each with 500 active members. It has proven a valuable platform for members with access to WeChat to exchange views and interact with each other.
8. Cooperation with AIB being planned. To enhance IACMR’s visibility in the international business community, IACMR plans to hold a joint symposium session with AIB at AIB’s 2017 Conference in Dubai. Details will be announced later.
Wish you all Happy Holidays and a Wonderful New Year!
President of IACMR, Professor of Management
China Europe International Business School
On Behalf of the Executive Committee
2017 Workshop Preparation Updates
The 2017 IACMR Research Methods Workshop will be held from July 9-13, 2017, at Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China. The application submission deadline is Feb. 15th, 2017. The applicants must meet some requirements as shown in the Call for Applications (click here) and submit a 9-page Word file electronically to the workshop website (click here) between Dec. 15, 2016 and Feb 15th, 2017. - The final acceptance/rejection decision will be made by March 31st, 2017.
The 15 faculty advisors have been confirmed. In addition, it's confirmed that Prof. Anne Tsui will join the faculty to give the last lecture of the workshop on July 13, 2017. The application submission and registration system was open on December 15. If you are interested and meet the applicant requirements, please click here and follow the instructions to register the workshop online.
The IACMR Research Method Workshop has been very well received in the past years and the participants have benefited a lot by attending the workshop run by prominent faculty advisors (click here see 2017 faculty). You may also read the feedbacks and reflections from the 2015 Tianjin Workshop participants by clicking here.
2018 Conference Preparation Updates
The 2018 IACMR Conference will be held in Wuhan with the theme of ‘Meeting Challenges of Continuous Transformation’. The Call for Submissions was announced to all IACMR members via mass email late last month.
Though the submission deadline is October 15, 2017, we encourage you to start conceiving your paper early. Here are some topics under the conference theme: innovation and creativity, adapting to changing business landscapes, globalization, culture, and diversity, including international business and cross-cultural management, contemporary perspectives on MNEs in China. You are also encouraged to submit papers addressing methodological issues in management research. For more detailed information, please click here to read and download the full text of the call.
Philosophy of Management Research Teacher Training Workshop
Further to the Philosophy of Management Research course that Prof. Anne Tsui offered to PKU, Fudan and Shanghai Jiaoda since summer 2015, Guanghua School of Management and IACMR have jointly organized the workshop. It was held in the Guanghua Building from December 8 to December 12, 2016. This workshop is to prepare faculty colleagues who are interested in teaching this doctoral level course on the Philosophy of Management Research.
The first training course has been offered to those schools that have been actively supporting IACMR in the past decade. 17 professors from nine leading business schools in China participated the workshop. Members of this inaugural 'teacher training' workshop have agreed to form a community to continue the teaching and practice of responsible science, which begins with learning the philosophy issues in management research. The community has already over 100 members, which suggests the potential that more and more scholars in business schools will commit to pursuing responsible science that produces credible and useful knowledge for business and society. For more information about the workshop, please click here.
Other Brief News
1. The IACMR Executive Committee is planning the IACMR Board Meeting, IACMR Highlights (previously “IACMR Business Meeting”) and a reception at the AoM meeting in August 2017.
2. After months of good efforts, the IACMR Executive Committee and the IACMR Office have contracted two IT companies to revamp the official website and the conference system.
3. IACMR is organizing a symposium jointly with AIB at its annual meeting at Dubai in 2017.
4. As the practice, the President Elect has started to actively explore the potential hosting schools of the 2020 IACMR Conference.
Management and Organization Review (MOR) Updates
Three Chinese abstracts of MOR Issue 12.3 can be read online now. Please click here to read.
We have more news about MOR to share with you.
1. MOR tweet account is "Mgmt & Org Review". You are very welcomed to follow it.
2. MOR's page budget has increased by 30% (2014-2017).
3. MOR is now inviting Letters to the Editor. Please see recent issues of MOR for interesting examples here.
4. MOR Open Call for Artwork: MOR is always seeking interesting images to print within its pages. If you would like to contribute artwork for possible inclusion in MOR, please send images to Managing Editor Tina Minchella (MORManagingeditor@cambridge.org)
5. MOR Call for Papers 'Competition and Innovation in Transforming Economies' can be read by clicking here.
Management Community News
1. Free resource: online database of management scales can be accessed here.At the website, you can upload, search, and download PDFs of management scales. You can also make comments about scales, and it’s all totally FREE!
2. The 2nd Annual China Business Studies Initiative (CBSI) International Conference hosted by University of San Francisco in collaboration with Peking University, the Department of International Science and Technology Cooperation, Ministry of Science and Technology of China, and the World Federation of Overseas Chinese Associations will be held in Beijing from May 17-19, 2017. The theme of the conference is China Innovation and Global Integration: Silicon Valley and Beyond. Important dates are as below:
Submission Deadline: January 25, 2017
Notice of Acceptance: February 25, 2017
Early Bird Registration: March 10, 2017
Conference Dates: May 17-19, 2017
Conference Website: www.cbsiconference.com
Conference Submission Form: www.cbsiconference.com/paper-submission
3. The Ninth International Symposium on Multinational Business Management will be held in Nanjing, June 20-21, 2017. The theme of the symposium is Entrepreneurship, Organizational Change and Employment Management. Call for submission please click here to read.
4. Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) China Seminar 2017 will be held in Beijing, China on March 26, 2017. The theme is "the Pillars of Publication Ethics". More detail information please click here.
Prof. Li Lv from Wuhan Institute of Technology shares with us his research interests and experience with IACMR in the latest "Members' Profile”. Please click here for the full text (in Chinese).
Your Input Welcomed
Your contributions are also welcomed. You can send us news about members' activities, research information, feedback about IACMR, information from management field, etc. to email@example.com. Submission deadline is 10th of every even-month.