Application Deadline is March 15th, 2015
Click here for the call in PDF format
Dear Members of IACMR,
You are cordially invited to apply for the IACMR Research Methods Workshop to be held from July 12-16, 2015, at Tianjin University, Tianjin, China. The purposes of the workshop are to introduce the major research methods involved in designing a high quality research project, to provide instructions on developing a research project that will make a meaningful contribution to knowledge and practice, and to build relationships with world-class management scholars. The 4-day program will consist of lectures and intensive discussion sessions for developing your research proposals. The workshop’s ultimate goal is to help develop research projects that will address important management problems and be publishable in international (English) academic journals. The instructional language for the workshop is English and Chinese. The previous workshops were well received. Please visit here to view the feedback and reflections about the 2013 workshop held at Tongji University, Shanghai.
addition to lectures, students/faculty with similar research interests
will be put into the same discussion groups. Workshop participants will
benefit from in-depth feedback and discussions of their proposal with
the faculty advisors guiding the sessions and the other participants
working in similar research areas. The discussions will focus on
constructive comments and recommendations for improving proposals that
would make a significant contribution to the advancement of organization
and management knowledge. The workshop is also a very good opportunity to build relationships with well known management scholars (see the Faculty Advisor List at the end of this document).
Requirements on participants:
To qualify for participation in this workshop, you must meet the following criteria:
(a) You are either a graduate student already enrolled in a Ph.D. program and has finished at least one year’s course work or a junior faculty with a PhD degree, who has been a faculty for NO more than five years.
(b) You have NOT attended any previous IACMR Research Methods Workshop.
(c) You are proficient in reading, speaking, and writing English.
(d) You are a fee-paying member of IACMR.
(e) You sign a pledge form (appended to the end of this Call), agreeing to specific requirements to be a participant in this workshop.
Research proposal. Please submit a maximum 4-page research proposal in ENGLISH (Times New Roman 12 point font size, double spaced, with 1 inch margins) including any tables, figures or references. The proposal must be new, preferably still in the conceiving or designing stage, rather than work with data already collected. In the proposal you should provide 1) concise statements of the nature and importance of the research problem, 2) major concepts that address the research questions, 3) the hypotheses that you would like to develop or explore through empirical studies, and 4) to the extent possible, the methods of your study including research design (e.g., survey, experiment, or secondary data), sampling, and possible statistical analyses.
The research proposal will be reviewed and evaluated on the basis of the extent to which 1) the research questions are of theoretical and/or practical importance, 2) the concepts are adequately defined and hypotheses are clearly formulated with reasonable rationale and make up a coherent theoretical model, 3) the methods are appropriate and adequate for addressing the research questions. Due to the large number of application we expect to receive, we apologize that we will not be able to provide feedback on your proposal, except the decision of acceptance or not.
The entire application should have the following components:
(1) a one-page cover letter in English confirming: IACMR membership, membership expiration date, and position title (for faculty, please state your rank and list number of years after PhD degree; for doctoral students please list number of years in the PhD program);
(2) a one-page résumé in English indicating education, experience, and up to five representative publications (including information of author, year, and journal) or research papers in either English or Chinese;
(3) a four-page research proposal in English as described above;
(4) two one-page reference letters in either English or Chinese from faculty advisors for students and from department head and/or senior colleagues for faculty applicants;
(5) Completed pledge form (see last page of this document).
The application deadline is Mar. 15th, 2015. Submit this 9-page word file electronically to the workshop website on www.iacmr.org between Dec 10th, 2014 and Mar. 15th, 2015 which is the last day applications can be submitted. Space for the workshop is limited. We encourage you to apply early. A final acceptance/rejection decision will be made by March 31st, 2015.
The 2015 research method workshop is generously sponsored by the International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR) and Tianjin University. The workshop registration fees will be $ 240 /student and $ 480 /faculty. Please note that the registration fee is only about 20% of the cost of the workshop due to the generous support of Tianjin University. For participants who have been accepted by March 31st, to reserve your space, we must receive your registration fee by May 1st, 2015, paid on-line. Please feel free to contact us if you have problems when making the online payment.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Workshop Director: Jiing-Lih Larry Farh
Workshop Committee: Chao C. Chen, Jiing-Lih Larry Farh, Liangding Jia, Minqiang Li, Jian Liang, Jiangyong Lu, Xiangyang Ma, Wei Zhang and Yan Zhang.
Director of Local Arrangement Committee: Wei Zhang, Dean, College of Management and Economics, Tianjin University
Executive Director of the Local Arrangement Committee: Minqiang Li, Associate Dean, College of Management and Economics, Tianjin University
Faculty Advisors (in alphabetical order):
1. Chao C. Chen, Rutgers University;
2. Xiao-ping Chen, University of Washington
3. Jiing-Lih Larry Farh, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
4. Liangding Jia, Nanjing University
5. Haiyang Li, Rice University
6. Jian Liang, Shanghai Jiaotong University
7. Zhen Zhang, Arizona State University
8. Jiangyong Lu, Peking University
9. Wei Shen, Arizona State University
10. Ann Zhang, Peking University
11. Jing Zhou, Rice University
12. Xueguang Zhou, Stanford University
For questions about the workshop, applications and schedules, please contact IACMR Office at firstname.lastname@example.org,+86 10 6275 8824. For questions about the venue and accommodation, please contact Tianjin University (Baolu Chen at email@example.com, +86 22 2740 3423 or Jingzhou Pan at firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 1562 094 7826).
2015 IACMR Research Methods Workshop Participant Pledge Form
I agree to the following requirements if I am accepted to participate in the 2015 IACMR Research Methods Workshop.
1. I will attend the workshop and participate in all activities.
2. I will arrive on time for all lectures and discussion sessions.
3. I will fully prepare for in-depth discussion about my proposal.
4. I will contribute to discussions actively and respect others’ contributions.
5. I will have read the IACMR Commitment to Excellence statement, which is posted on the IACMR website, before the first day of the workshop.
6. I agree to have read all the materials posted on the workshop website, as instructed by the faculty leaders before the first day of the workshop.
7. I agree to adhere to guidelines for research ethics and ethical conducts in all current and future research activities.
8. If I am accepted by the workshop organizers and need to cancel, I agree to cancel at least one month in advance, and I understand that no refund will be given.
(Name and date)